By Abdi Hussein

Hello all. This is ALBA student Abdi Hussein here to uncover a few interactive and immersive experiences I’ve been able to enjoy during my stay in Barcelona.

One of the primary reasons I embarked on this program was to get out of my shell and put myself in an environment that I hadn’t considered living in before. My prior experiences in Europe have been limited, certainly nothing close to the atmosphere of Barcelona. What I noticed before arriving was the blend of the old and new through different avenues which made me curious about living in such a city, among other factors. My intention for this series of experiences is to document some of the aspects that make Barcelona such a dynamic city.

El Clásico Basketball

#1 Sports Event:

Finding a starting point for this series of study abroad experiences was daunting, as I had no clue what would be deemed acceptable to others. However, not every student’s journey will be the exact same during their time in Barcelona. I decided on my first idea: going to a basketball game featuring the two el clasico teams (Barcelona and Real Madrid). Often when you think of European sports, basketball doesn’t come to mind right away. So, I searched for tickets online a couple of days before the match and didn’t find the best seating options for what I paid but that didn’t hinder the experience of the great game I got to watch.

Just before tip-off and throughout the duration of the game I heard lots of different chants. The crowd, largely dominated by Barcelona supporters, showed their deep-rooted passion to give a boost to their home team. It was a back-and-forth duel with lots of exciting moments and stretches of play from both teams. The enthusiastic spirits were always high watching high-quality European talent along with former NBA players. Before the game started I got to have a brief conversation with a local fan that is also an NBA fan like myself. He shared some history of the rise of basketball in Spain and Liga ACB, along with the implications of the league standings for the league title via playoffs and the possibilities of Euroleague qualification for the top basketball clubs in Europe.

Barber's shop

#2 El Raval:

In this second study abroad exploration, I was looking for a haircut and found a great person and barber after following the top suggestion I got. It was a same-day walk-in cut, I was fortunate he was able to get me right so quickly. I didn’t have a picture for reference but luckily he understood what I was telling him and was able to give me the cut that I wanted. There was a genuine laid-back demeanor to the barber which just made the experience even better. During the cut, I listened to him talk about his upbringing in the neighborhood and how grateful he is to be situated there along with some stories in his life. Also, the barber told me about the sense of community and culture instilled throughout the neighborhood. I appreciated him sharing some recommendations and his favorite things about the neighborhood. Fun fact: over half its population was born outside of Spain!

The Raval neighborhood gave me good impressions, and it’s critical to realize the importance it held over the developments of the city of Barcelona. There is a strong multi-cultural orientation present in the neighborhood which can be seen with the people, shops, art, markets, museums, and of course, older religious landmarks that still remain. The creative influences helped many great artists collect inspiration. With El Raval being one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, many of its historical attributes describe Barcelona’s culture and identity throughout time. Also, the convenience of it being near ALBA grounds allowed me to continue discovering this area and notice the things it embodies.

Palau Guell's intricate ceiling

#3 Palau Guell:

Now that I have been in the city of Barcelona for over a month, I have gotten to see some really cool buildings and wanted to focus on something more architecture-centric. This sparked an interest to check out the Palau Guell after seeing it once from the outside, I could say it’s a more underappreciated building compared to the intrigue the other Gaudi buildings receive. Tickets for an audio tour were easily accessible the next day and I made the right choice to go in the morning as there weren’t many crowds of people. Immediately seeing the blend of modern characteristics along with classic influences in one of Antoni Gaudi’s early works was a sign of good things to see.

This residential building was built between 1886 and 1890, designed for Eusebi Guell. It does well in introducing one of Gaudi’s earlier big projects that played a crucial role in shaping the trajectory of his prominent career. The creative burden didn’t phase him and so he showcased his talents with innovative artistic ideas and techniques that later became his signature styles seen throughout the rest of his projects. Many of the ceilings I got to see throughout the building were incredible. So much intricate detailing that stands out. That can be said throughout the rest of the palace. I gathered some others’ thoughts and most mentioned their appreciation for the craftsmanship and detail within the interior spaces. There are strong concepts of space within the palace. The strategic placements of windows and openings allow for good integration of natural lighting. You can tell the functionality is not sacrificed solely for visual appeal as it was meant for residential use. The tour ends after making your way to the rooftop and seeing these large colorful ceramic tiles that were initially used for ventilation purposes along with some views of the city. It was well worth the visit and I would encourage you to check it out.

Yummy Patatas Bravas

#4 Patatas Bravas:

Certainly, you will try many wonderful dishes and foods in Barcelona. Although I’m not a foodie myself, I discovered that some of my favorite food is one of the more favored tapas options, patatas bravas. These are potatoes that are divided into small or large chunks accompanied by a sauce after being fried in olive oil. It’s super convenient and fulfilling to grab some for a snack or of course, you could eat them as part of a larger meal. There are a few ingredients but the tastes are unique to wherever they are served. Some parts of the process can be adjusted, usually due to the contents in the sauce, amounts of salt, and the frying method. The origins behind its growth started with Spanish explorers and trades bringing over potatoes and eventually, it reached the Catalonia region. Potatoes are relatively easy to grow in most climates and soil types. Over time, potatoes became rooted in Catalan culture present in festivals, gatherings, and celebrations to represent its withstanding culinary heritage.

It was great to make them for ourselves in one of Mariela’s cooking classes in the ALBA kitchen. She continues to spread her knowledge of Catalan cuisine and diligently helped us throughout the entire tapas session. All the portions were set in advance so getting the different dishes prepared was straight-forward. The potatoes were cut into small cubes with the skin attached along with aioli sauce made up of just milk, olive oil, and garlic topped with a pinch of paprika. I didn’t expect these to be some of the best I’ve tried, but they are certainly undeniably high on my rankings. If you ever spend any amount of time in Barcelona you will understand its significance and not get enough of it.

Mirò Sculptures

#5 Art & Music:

To wrap this series of experiences up, I had to make space to mention the elements that represent the city of Barcelona, art and music. It’s something you notice scattered all throughout the city.

One evening, I went to see one of the weekly jazz events at the Jamboree. The iconic Catalan music club that preserved itself over six decades operates down in the basement with lighting that matches the spirit of the music. There are live group performances taking turns on stage. Most of the time you will see local musicians performing regularly but they are more than willing and inviting to feature international musicians. Hosting both established and emerging artists this is definitely a great platform to showcase talents of all kinds. Viewers can expect to hear a wide scope of jazz styles. I would recommend going more than once to experience a variety of performers. You are up and close to the action in this relaxed atmosphere with many passionate jazz enthusiasts.

On another day I made my way to the Fundacio Joan Miro, a museum of modern art designed by his long-time friend Josep Lluis Sert. The exterior of the building is a strong tribute and the scaling represents a lot of the qualities Mirò used in his work. You will notice that simplicity was key for him, as well as the ability to connect different life aspects to abstract symbols, both aspects are pretty outstanding and cool to see in his art. As an early pioneer, Mirò’s dynamic surrealism art is some of the very best there is. From his language of symbols to his unconventional approaches, his creative imagination is endless and impacts the messages being created. Mirò had a wide range of skills as an artist beyond painting which you can see as you make your way through the museum.

While walking around the outdoor areas inside the museum looking across the views from Montjuic Hill, I asked people what they like about this artist. A thoughtful observation another visitor told me is they appreciated the natural influences Miro incorporated in his artwork through the different stages of his life. Whatever your interests are, there are lots of things to behold!

Sunset at Barceloneta

Overall, the many things I experienced with these different challenges have opened me up to new perspectives and ways to see things through. I appreciated being situated in the warm and family-oriented Eixample neighborhood. Found it easy to acclimate myself after getting to know more about the area and finding my spots. About a thirty-minute walk from ALBA which is fairly doable but there is a terrific metro system that will get you everywhere across the city. Almost anything you set out to do can be done by putting a little thought into it and going for it. You never want to deprive yourself of opportunities to venture your path in a new city, environment, and culture. Often that can require stepping outside the bounds of your bubble to find things you gravitate towards, learn about, or participate in. Studying abroad is a great way to find the intersection between exploring things you already enjoy and developing newfound passions. Just give chances to incorporate other ways of life into your own routine or schedule. I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything, there was something unique about learning more about myself. Through all the ups and downs of living far from home, I am grateful to have partaken in this journey.